Monday, July 10, 2006

Encyclopedic

As the link on your right side of the screen indicates, I finally got my copy of American Conservatism : An Encyclopedia. While I haven't started reading it, as such, yet; I have enjoyed checking on all of its subjects and contributors. As of yet I haven't been disappointed when checking to see if a subject is covered. Take publications, for example. It has entries on the publications that you would expect: The American Conservative, the American Spectator, Chronicles, the Modern Age, National Review and the Weekly Standard. But it also has the Sewanee Review and Southern Partisan.

Included among the topics are the America First Committee, General Curtis LeMay and Westbrook Pegler. It's completeness means that an important figure such as Hilaire Belloc is next to a pompous-assed gasbag like Bill Bennett.

I can only assume that it will turn out to be one of the better book purchases that I have made in the last few years, and I look forward to Daniel McCarthy's forthcoming review.

No comments: