Monday, September 25, 2006

The Long Emergency

I saw a great talk at UT tonight by James Howard Kunstler, the author of Home from Nowhere, and several other books. He spoke on the topic of his most recent work, The Long Emergency. I'm not quite ready to buy his notion that the world will soon reach peak oil production and the American Way of Life as we know it will collapse, but he is an entertaining and iconoclastic speaker and I don't think his message can just be dismissed.

After the talk, I had him sign a book and discussed his fellow Upstate reactionary, Bill Kauffman; for whom Kunstler provided a blurb to Dispatches from the Muckdog Gazette.

I'm glad I went out tonight --Tuesday UT features a Tweedle De/Tweedle Dum debate with Jonah Goldberg and Peter Beinart. Zzzzzz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup, Yer man has a way with the turn of a phrase:

"People will consequently suffer. I don’t know how much. Some people may lose their lives - but more likely at the hands of a disabled medical establishment than because of civil disorder, loss of power, starvation, bad water, or other projected horrors (though these, too, are possible). Some will suffer the loss of fortunes, some of any income whatsoever, and many of something in between. Quite a few will find themselves suddenly without an occupation, and few ideas about how to make themselves useful to other people (without occupations themselves). Many will suffer a loss of comfort and modern convenience, and if that goes on any longer than a week, it may escalate into serious problems of public sanitation and infectious disease."

Of course the opening line to the above paragraph is:

"...Y2K is real. Y2K is going to rock our world."

He was spouting all the same stuff about the need to re-localize just a few years ago. Lest you think I'm some globalist, I reviewed his book for the newspaper of an organic farming organization and am a rural homesteader.

The man is snake oil with a great style. If we do end up with an energy crisis it will be caused by the usual culprit, Holy Mother State.

You may want to trust me on this one. I suspect I am a lot older than you. Just out of the Army, in the early 70's, I sat in line at the gas station during the first oil crisis and we know that wage and price controls had a lot to do with that. Of course, I can probably rustle up a WIN button if I need to.

Richard